SCIENCE FICTION / FICTION AND LITERATURE / ADVENTURE
A story of castaways, similar to Robinson Crusoe and The Swiss Family Robinson, this book details the escape from Civil War-era Richmond, Virginia, of five Northern men who dared to go aloft in a balloon in the midst of a hurricane. Deposited on a lonely island in the Pacific, they make do with Yankee ingenuity where Chance has left them nothing. Only later do they find they have a hidden benefactor: Captain Nemo, of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, who resides, alone, secretly on the island. In time, the tiny colony becomes so prosperous that it is able to rescue another castaway from an island a hundred miles away. But all their work will come to naught – their island’s volcano is about to awake! (Summary by Mark)
Free English Story eBook: The Mysterious Island
Author: Jules Verne
same day another important personage fell into the hands of the Southerners. This was no other than Gideon Spilen, a reporter for the New York Herald, who had been ordered to follow the changes of the war in the midst of the Northern armies.
Gideon Spilett was one of that race of indomitable English or American chroniclers, like Stanley and others, who stop at nothing to obtain exact information, and transmit it to their journal in the shortest possible time. The newspapers of the Union, such as the New York Herald, are genuine powers, and their reporters are men to be reckoned with. Gideon Spilett ranked among the first of those reporters: a man of great merit, energetic, prompt and ready for anything, full of ideas, having traveled over the whole world, soldier and artist, enthusiastic in council, resolute in action, caring neither for trouble, fatigue, nor danger, when in pursuit of information, for himself first, and then for his journal, a perfect treasury of knowledge on all sorts of curious
PUBLISHED: 1874 / 492 Pages
Read Online The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
The Following are Audios in Chapters, Click on link to play and Listen
- 1-01 The Storm of 1865. Voices in the Air.
- 1-02 An Incident in the War of Secession
- 1-03 Five O’Clock in the Evening
- 1-04 Lithodomes. The River’s Mouth. The Chimneys.
- 1-05 Arranging the Chimneys. How to Procure Fire.
- 1-06 The Inventory of the Castaways. Expedition to the Forest.
- 1-07 Neb Has Not Yet Returned. A Threatening Night.
- 1-08 Is Cyrus Harding Living? Neb’s Recital.
- 1-09 Cyrus is Here. Pencroft’s Attempts.
- 1-10 The Engineer’s Invention. Volcanic Soil.
- 1-11 At the Summit of the Cone
- 1-12 Regulating the Watches. Pencroft is Satisfied.
- 1-13 What is Found Upon Top
- 1-14 Measuring the Cliff. Latitude of the Island.
- 1-15 It Is Decided to Winter on the Island
- 1-16 The Question of a Dwelling is Again Discussed.
- 1-17 Visit to the Lake. The Indicating Current.
- 1-18 Pencroft Now Doubts Nothing
- 1-19 Cyrus Harding’s Project. The Rope Ladder.
- 1-20 The Rainy Season. The Question of Clothes.
- 1-21 Some Degrees Below Zero.
- 1-22 Traps. Foxes. Peccaries.
- 2-01 Conversation on the Subject of the Bullet
- 2-02 First Trial of the Canoe. A Wreck on the Coast.
- 2-03 The Start. The Rising Tide.
- 2-04 Journey to the Coast. Troops of Monkeys
- 2-05 Proposal to Return By the Southern Shore
- 2-06 Pencroft’s Halloos. A Night in the Chimneys.
- 2-07 Plans. A Bridge Over the Mercy.
- 2-08 Linen. Shoes of Seal-Leather.
- 2-09 Bad Weather. The Hydraulic Lift.
- 2-10 Boat-Building. Second Crop of Corn.
- 2-11 Winter. Felling Wood. The Mill.
- 2-12 The Rigging of the Vessel
- 2-13 Departure Decided Upon. Conjectures.
- 2-14 The Inventory. Night. A Few Letters.
- 2-15 The Return. Discussion.
- 2-16 A Mystery to be Cleared Up.
- 2-17 Still Alone. The Stranger’s Request.
- 2-18 Conversation. Cyrus Harding and Gideon Spilett.
- 2-19 Recollections of Their Native Land
- 2-20 A Night at Sea. Shark Gulf. Confidences.
- 3-01 Lost or Saved? Ayrton Summoned.
- 3-02 Discussions. Presentiments.
- 3-03 The Mist Rises. The Engineer’s Preparations.
- 3-04 The Colonists on the Beach.
- 3-05 The Engineer’s Declaration.
- 3-06 Expeditions Planned. Ayrton at the Corral.
- 3-07 The Reporter and Pencroft in the Corral
- 3-08 The Convicts in the Neighborhood of the Corral
- 3-09 No news of Neb. A Proposal.
- 3-10 Herbert Carried to Granite House
- 3-11 Inexplicable Mystery. Herbert’s Convalescence.
- 3-12 Exploration on the Serpentine Peninsula.
- 3-13 Ayrton’s Story. A Subterranean Volcano.
- 3-14 Three Years Have Passed. The New Vessel.
- 3-15 The Awakening of the Volcano. The Fine Season.
- 3-16 Captain Nemo. His First Words.
- 3-17 Last Moments of Captain Nemo
- 3-18 Reflections of the Colonists
- 3-19 Cyrus Harding’s Account of His Exploration
- 3-20 An Isolated Rock in the Pacific